Tennis is a sport with a rich history dating back several centuries. Here are some top historical facts about tennis:
- Origins in France: Tennis has a long history dating back to the 12th century in France. Originally played indoors, it was called "jeu de paume," which means "game of the palm/hand" because it was originally played without racquets. The game was originally played by monks as a form of entertainment during ceremonial occasions, but it evolved and changed as it became more popular and spread throughout Europe.
- What’s in a Name: It is believed that the word ‘tennis’ derived from its precursor jeu de paume back in the 12th century. It most likely came from the Anglo-French word tenetz which means to take heed or receive. The word was used as a call from the server to his opponent during the match.
- Four Grand Slam Tournaments: While the sport has many national and international events all over the world, Tennis has four notable major tournaments known as Grand Slam events (three of which are among the oldest tennis tournaments established.) The youngest is the Australian Open (1905), while the rest are the French Open also known as Roland-Garros (1891), the US Open (1881), and the oldest, and arguably the most prestigious, Wimbledon (1877). Winning all four in a single calendar year is called a Grand Slam.
- The Modern Version: While the indoor jeu de paume is well known as the game’s precursor, it wasn’t until 1873, when Major Walter Wingfield invented a version of the game that could be played outdoors on a lawn, did we get a glimpse of tennis beginning to look like the game we know and love today. He called the game Sphairistike which is Greek for “playing ball”
- The Longest Game: The longest tennis match in the history of the game occurred in Wimbledon 2010 between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut. It was a match that lasted for over 11 hours and 5 minutes and was contested over three days
These historical facts highlight the evolution of tennis from its origins in France to its global popularity today, with iconic players and tournaments contributing to its rich history.
Gear up for your next tennis match with Toby's Sports here.
You can also shop for other sports and fitness gear with us through the following:
🛒 Online purchase: Shop via TOBYS.COM.
🚶🏻♂️ Store visit: Drop by your nearest Toby’s Sports store.
📱 Click & Collect: Shop via TOBYS.COM and pick up in your preferred store.
#Home of Champions